Monday, March 26, 2012

Deconstructed Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal--Guilt Free!!



Yes, you read that first line correctly.  No need to adjust your bifocals, reading glasses, or rub your eyes.  I never, ever believe we should eat anything if it makes us feel some level of guilt.  That's just setting oneself up for a mindless binge later on.  When we eat anything and feel guilty after the fact, what happens?  We become overly emotional (especially when Aunt Flo is town to visit).  And how do we COPE with overwhelming emotions?  By eating more.  LOTS AND LOTS MORE.  And then we feel guilty all over again.  And then we EAT all over again.  What a vicious cycle.  I say enough of this already!  So I decided I was going to have my pie and eat my oatmeal, too, and created this deconstructed apple dessert which happens to be vegan, gluten-free, and free of overly processed sugars with just the right amount of fat for richness and healthy, glowing hair.  

My inspiration for this dessert, which tastes like sin but is made with Heaven's love, comes from a super fun blog from a super fun blogger.  Chocolate-Covered Katie, authored by a girl named Katie (I know, did I really need to clarify that for you?), is smothered with guiltless frosting and low-fat dessert dips, and topped with birthday cake sprinkles and lots of chocolate love.  Her blog is 100% vegan, 90% dessert, 100% HEALTHY dessert, and 1,000 percent fun!  Katie is all about chocolate and dessert, but she also leads an incredibly active and health lifestyle and knows how important it is to make sure we aren't getting our sweet fix from prepackaged desserts, which are laden with the not-so-kind-to-your-waistline fats, sugars, and only Jesus and Buddha know what other sorts of 'mystery meat' ingredients (especially in THIS country).  Katie, herself, doesn't diet, aside from being vegan, and luckily has NO sweet tooth.  (I wish I had that problem...)  So many of her delectable yummies are naturally created to be low in sugar, and she often provides variations of her recipes to make them lower in fat and with healthy and natural sugar substitutes that could be used in the place of sugar.  And while Katie's blog is known for a lot of specifics, actually ALL of the specifics, I was personally excited on her take of something so simple.  Oatmeal.  A grain which will provide you with an entire world of possibilities if you'll only invite it into your life!

I particularly enjoyed making (and eating) her Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal Cakes...for one!  Ooooh, and that's another 'plus one' for her site.  So many of her recipes are scaled for one or two servings.  How cool is that!?  I can't even remember how many times I craved something warm and yummy from my oven, but I didn't want to bake even ONE FOURTH of the recipe and was too lazy to figure out the math to scale it down any smaller.  Okay, enough of me already.  You get the point.  Katie's blog is amazing.  Here's what I decided to do after enjoying one of her itsy-bitsy oatmeal cuties.  I was REALLY craving more of that super comforting feeling you get from eating warm apple pie.  Apples are great in oatmeal, but I really desired the entire flavor profile of the heavenly pastry, and I wanted those little diced apples to be super tender and soft, just as they would if I dug them out of the pie.  So, the wheels in my ADHD brain began to turn, and I thought how deliciously insane would it be if I were to deconstruct the entire thing so that I was actually BAKING the apples first, as in making an actual apple pie filling, and then smothering a baked cinnamon oatmeal cake?!  And that's exactly what I dd.  I made the apple pie filling completely gluten and dairy free, AND I only used sweeteners that were as natural as to which I had easy access.  I baked a batch of apples that would be enough to top four of the mini oatmeal cakes, but I only baked 2 cakes at a time as they tend to not be so tender and tasty after you have to reheat them a day or two later. 

Deconstructed Apple Pie Oatmeal Cakes



For the Apple Pie filling:
  • 3 medium size apples--peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1 Tbsp. of your favor all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (or just regular all-purpose wheat flour)
  • 1 Tbsp. vegan buttery spread, like Earth Balance (butter is fine)
  • 1/4 C. coconut palm sugar (I actually used half xylitol, half palm sugar to cut down on sugar)
  • 1 Tbsp. water, or more as needed
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. sea salt (or kosher)
  • zest of half a lemon

For the Cinnamon Oatmeal Cake (makes 2 servings in mini fluted cake pans):

  • 1 C. rolled oats
  • 6 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce (a mashed banana would also work)
  • 1/2 C. of dairy-free milk (I used light coconut milk to make it a little richer)
  • 3 Tbsp. sweetener, such as maple syrup or palm sugar (I used 3 packets of Truvia brand stevia)
  • 1 Tbsp. melted vegan buttery spread, like Earth Balance (or butter)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

1.  Prep your apples, toss them with the lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt, and place them in a greased pie pan, or whatever you are choosing to bake them in.



2.  On the stove top over medium-low heat, combine the rest of the ingredients for the apple pie filling, stirring often to mix and until mixture has thickened.


3.  Pour this mixture over the top of the apples and bake in a 425 degree F. preheated oven until your apples are fork tender and soft.  Mine took around half an hour, but you probably want to check at 20 minutes.  All ovens vary and for many different reasons.



4.  Once apples are finished baking, set the pie pan on a cooling wrack to cook, and store the apples in an airtight container.  You won't need them all at once, unless you are really craving apple pie.



5.  Grease whatever pan(s) you are going to use to bake the oatmeal.



6.  In a mixing bowl, stir together all of the ingredients for the oatmeal cake until very well mixed.  Divide mixture evenly between your pans, unless you are choosing to bake the entire recipe in one pan which is perfectly okay with me.



7.  This mixture is going into a preheated 375 degree F. oven for at least 15 minutes.  Mine usually take around 20.  You'll know when they are ready to come out when the center of the cake is set and no longer wet-looking.


8.  Allow your cakes to cook for at least 10 minutes before turning over onto a plate or bowl.



9.  Once cool enough to eat, top your cakes with a few hefty spoonfuls of the apple pie filling.  I also topped mine with TruWhip vegan whipped topping and an extra sprinkling of cinnamon.  Oh. My. Heaven.






This baked oatmeal cake is not like a typical baked oatmeal, which is usually very firm and chewy and can be held in your hand once it cools.  This one is incredibly moist while still being slightly chewy and truly decadent.  It's almost like a firm and creamy oatmeal pudding!


Some final notes...
This fabulous dessert (or breakfast, whatever point of view you choose to take) is already relatively low in fat and sugar, but if you are dealing with something like diabetes, low thyroid, or any other health concern that might  cause you to closely monitor your sugar levels, you could omit the palm sugar from the apples and strictly use xylitol in its place, which as an all-natural sugar alcohol.  I have also used honey and agave nectar when making my baked apples, and I've heard that both are tolerable by some people who experience difficulty in keeping blood sugar balance, but I know that not every body is the same nor reacts the same to certain foods, including sweeteners.  I've also heard that the coconut palm sugar is tolerable as well, in moderation, but I would definitely use caution.  I think the best thing is to listen to your body, see how it reacts, and monitor how you feel several minutes after you finish your meal.  Then you can make adjustments accordingly.  You can also substitute the vegan whipped topping, which I use, for regular natural whipped cream, unsweetened.

xoxo




4 comments:

  1. This looks great, Trish! Excellent deconstruction. I <3 Katie's blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I have been lazy with writing. I have PLENTY of pictures, but I've been working on some other projects and kind of neglected this baby. Need to get back on the wagon.
    Yes, Katie's blog is excellent. I *heart* healthy desserts! But I can't spend too much time there or else all I want to eat is dessert. I am always inspired to include more veggies in my diet when I read your postings. Man, that coconut strawberry butter still has me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you!

    I hadn't seen you on CCK for awhile and suddenly you are back AND you have two vegan recipes! I may have to get myself a baby bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE the baby bundt pans! I *heart* ALL bundt pans, but the minis and babies are super fun, and they give you a good portion size. (I have a MAJOR issue with portion control, 'specially when something just tastes so good!) The pans shown for this recipe are actually mini fluted pans, not an actual bundt with the hole running through the middle. They just have an indentation so you can put a fruit filling or whatever on top. Wilton sells them in sets of two at any major craft store. So I just wait for a Hobby Lobby or Michael's coupon to get sent to me via e-mail, and I collect these a few at time for 40% off. ;-)

      Delete