Sunday, May 20, 2012

Voluminous 'Mounds Bar' Oatmeal (Gluten-free, Vegan, and Dairy-free)




Mmmm, look what I had for breakfast today.  :-)  A big bowl of voluminous oats, smothered in velvety, melty chocolate and lightly-sweetened coconut and rich vanilla.  *does the Homer Simpson drool*

I love this recipe because most of the prep work is done the night before, as if there's much prep work involved in making oatmeal in the first place.  But the oats are partially cooked and then soaked overnight, in a bit of extra liquid.  By morning, the oats will have soaked up all the extra liquid, and they will be nearly TWICE the amount in comparison to having cooked them the standard way, which for me is a 2:1 ratio of liquid to oats, and then cooking them slowly over the stove or nuking them in the microwave for about 5 minutes.  

I drew my inspiration from Chocolate-Covered Katie's Voluminous Oatmeal Trick, and I decided on the flavor combo by reading about her Coconut Cookie Baked Oatmeal, except mine obviously wasn't baked.  It truly reminded me of eating a Mounds bar in a bowl, as Katie also made the same flavor comparison, but not so much of a cookie for me.  The oats were just too soft and pillow-y!  While these oats are definitely rich, they aren't overly sweet, so feel free to adjust the amount of sweetness to match your personal preference.

I will say that I probably added a bit too much chocolate to my bowl, which caused a racing heart.  My body is incredibly sensitive to even medium amounts of fat, and especially saturated fats...yes, even those found in 'healthy' fats such as virgin coconut oil and grass-fed, raw butter.  I know that many advocates for eating healthy fat will want to argue with me, but I know my own body VERY well, how it reacts to certain foods...and I learned WHY I react to saturated fats and high amounts of fat after reading up on my particular AB blood type in the book Eat Right for Your Type.  But apart from my heart dancing around in my chest for about 15 minutes, it was totally worth the indulgence.



Voluminous 'Mounds Bar' Oatmeal

  • 1/2 C. rolled oats, preferably organic and certified gluten-free
  • 1 C. water
  • 1/2 C. unsweetened almond milk (any non-dairy milk is fine, and cow's milk if you prefer)
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut palm sugar (or sweetener of choice--a packet of Stevia would also work)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. coconut extract
  • 1 oz. chocolate chips (I used 3 squares of Trader Joe's dark chocolate, 1.3 oz.)*
  • 1 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut


1.  In a microwave safe dish, combine the oats, water, almond milk, and salt.  Microwave for 4 and 1/2 minutes, and then allow to 'rest' in the microwave for an additional minute.
2.  Take the dish out of the microwave, stir oatmeal, and then you can either put it in the refridgerator...OR you may leave this out on the counter top, overnight.  Yes, it's perfectly safe to leave out!  (Just be sure to cover it, once it cools, so you do not invite any unwanted 'guests'...)
By morning, or even in a few hours, the oats should have absorbed all the excess liquid and will yield a fluffy pile of oats, about 2 C. worth.  
3.  So now add in your sweetener and two extracts, and reheat in the microwave, about an additional minute and 20 seconds...or longer if your oats were stored in the refrigerator overnight and are still cold.
Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut, saving a bit to garnish on top.

Enjoy.




*While the recipe is labeled as 'vegan' and 'dairy-free', I used Trader Joe's Belgium chocolate, which contains whole milk powder and is processed on the same machinery that sees the likes of eggs and wheat.  I would suggest using a brand such as Enjoy Life chocolate chips, which can be found in health food stores and on Amazon.






5 comments:

  1. I had to stop over and wow, that looks good. I'm trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah. Thanks for stopping by! Oh my YES...it was soooo good! I am pretty creative in the cake and pastry world, but Chocolate-Covered Katie's blog just blew me away at all the creativity she had put into OATMEAL. :-) Her voluminous oats are the way to go! Hope you enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. Oh um yum!!! But girl, there's no such thing as too much chocolate! It looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Katie...I'm so HONORED you've stopped by my humble little blog! Lol...no, you are correct...NEVER such as a thing as too much chocolate. Perhaps if I could 'trick' my body into thinking there was no cocoa butter in the chocolate, it would allow me to have POUNDS of the stuff at once! (I'm pretty sure at certain times in the month, I HAVE consumed a pound of more of Belgium chocolate...)
      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. You should try using plain cocoa powder in place of the actual chocolate- you get all the chocolately flavor without the fat!

      Delete